Thursday, March 10, 2016

Acceptance


I've been studying and thinking and thinking and studying a lot about acceptance. I struggle with self-acceptance and it's always something that I am constantly working on. It's easier to accept other people, because there's that part of me that knows everyone struggles. And then there's that other part of me that would want to be accepted, so I treat others that way.

I've talked to you about Brene Brown and how she's amazing. I've also told you how it's hard for my mind to accept her words and to swallow down my pride when it comes to shame, self-worth, vulnerability etc. I have a past. Boy, do I have a past! And shame is like the un-welcomed uncle that just keeps showing up at your door. I'm human. I struggle. And I struggle with acceptance. And when the day is done and I get ready to go to bed, I look at my phone and see this quote:
“Because true belonging only happens when we present our authentic, imperfect selves to the world, our sense of belonging can never be greater than our level of self-acceptance.” -Brene Brown
Isn't that what everyone wants? To feel accepted, authentic, and wanted? But--isn't it more powerful when you can accept yourself? Because wouldn't that feeling dispel that need or want to be loved or accepted by others? Wouldn't that satisfy the innate need of belonging?

I don't know my friends. I'm still studying it and thinking about it and applying it. But I believe that Brene Brown is on to something! Happy Thursday, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment