Wednesday, October 15, 2014

True Blue

Dear Readers,

As I promised earlier, I wanted to tell you about this lovely foundation called True Blue! It's this awesome foundation that raises "suicide awareness, prevention, and grief support."



A wonderful girl in my ward brought this to my attention and asked if the service committee wanted to be a part of her special project. This was her family foundation. How could I turn down this awesome opportunity?

Though I didn't know Ethan Empey personally, I know his lovely sister. She is such a wonderful, bright young woman! And I can only imagine that her brother was just as great as she is! After reading up on her brother, I was touched by the person that he was.

The 'Blue' in True Blue stands for the following:

Be Loving Understanding Empathetic

According to family and friends, Ethan exemplified these characteristics during his life. Wow! Talk about awesome characteristics! Way to be an example, Ethan!

One thing that really struck me with this foundation, was their awareness to mental illness. The support that they offer to those who suffer with it or have a loved one who is suffering with it, is incredible! They really reach out!

This immediately got me thinking about Elder Jeffrey R. Hollands talk, Like A Broken Vessel. He so gently expressed his thoughts on this sensitive topic. 
"Whatever your struggle, my brothers and sisters—mental or emotional or physical or otherwise—do not vote against the preciousness of life by ending it! Trust in God. Hold on in His love. Know that one day the dawn will break brightly and all shadows of mortality will flee. Though we may feel we are “like a broken vessel,” as the Psalmist says, we must remember, that vessel is in the hands of the divine potter. Broken minds can be healed just the way broken bones and broken hearts are healed. While God is at work making those repairs, the rest of us can help by being merciful, nonjudgmental, and kind."
I also what to add that I truly believe that God is in the very details of our lives. You see, I was going through some hard core depression, when I was asked if the service committee wanted to help out with True Blue. The depression was so bad that it was affecting me physically, but mostly emotionally and mentally. I started having some intense thoughts of suicide and cutting myself. It scared me! I kept trying to tell myself that it was just a phase and that it will pass, but I tell you, depression is not just a phase. It's a real problem!

I did some research on this foundation to know more about it and it helped me realize that I had a problem and I needed to fix it. I was able to have the courage to confide in my mom about the issue. With her loving kindness and concern, she and my dad began to help me. I was also able to confide my problem to two of my dear friends whose concern got the Bishop involved. My Bishop has been working closely with my parents in getting me the help I need. 

I have become familiar with NAMI- National Alliance of Mental Illness. I first learned about it in a behavioral class and became even more familiar with it the past few weeks. You should totally check it out! It's very informative. 

I want you to know that if you are suffering from a mental illness or you know someone who is, there is support for you. You are loved, so very loved! It's definitely a crazy roller-coaster, but I firmly believe that you can be healed! Through the power of the atonement, I believe that we all can be healed. 
11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
 12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities. - Alma 7:11-12
When you feel discouraged, just remember that Jesus Christ understands how to succor you. He's walked your Gethsemane before!



Do you have a mental illness or know someone who does? What's your [or their] story? What's something you did [or do] to help you cope? Did you turn to professionals for help? What would your advice be? I'd love to do a follow up post on this topic, so please send in your stories. You can find contact info in the 'More about the Miss' page.

Check out True Blue on Facebook! You won't be disappointed! Let's all show our support and love!

--Miss Marli

No comments:

Post a Comment