Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A Personal Interview

This last Sunday, Elder M Russell Ballard came to talk to fourteen YSA stakes in the valley at the BYU Marriot Center. His loving concern and bold remarks really hit me. (In the best way of course.) He counseled each one of us to take some time to be alone and have a personal interview with ourselves. He asked to make a list of those things that we know we need to repent of and change. He asked us to think about where we see ourselves in six months. He then asked us to make goals for ourselves, so that we can make those necessary changes and to be where we see ourselves in six months from now. He then re-iterated the importance of our righteous intentions:
What are your true intentions and desires of your heart?
This question sunk deep down into my heart and I sat there and thought about it. I had never really thought about them up until then.

Later that afternoon, I did exactly what Elder Ballard asked and had my personal interview. I made my lists and prayerfully set my goals. It felt so good to be able to take a step back and re-align myself with God's will. It felt so good to be vulnerable to the Lord. It felt so good to ponder about the desires and intentions of my heart and to see how those will affect my goals.

I made a goal that needed to be done by Tuesday. I told my roommate about it and made a commitment to getting it done. It was huge step for me. One that I really didn't want to make. And boy did Satan work so hard on me. I let fear overcome me and I started rationalizing why I shouldn't take this step. I then immediately went to a dear friend of mine who gave me a blessing. Oh how I cherish each Priesthood blessing that I receive. Those blessings (especially now) are much needed. As he put his hands on my head, I felt instant peace wash over me. God reminded me the "special work" that was in store for me and asked me to continue in faith as I begin the walk into the unknown. After the blessing, I courageously did what I needed to do. Not only was I able to accomplish my first goal, but I made huge progress. I couldn't help but smile as I sat there at my desk, knowing that I had done what God asked me to do.

Since then, the unknown has been dark, but as I've been filling myself with God's light and keep the eternal perspective, it's carried me through it. I invite you to do as Elder Ballard counseled. Take that time to evaluate where you are and where you want to be. What changes do you need to make? What are your true intentions and desires of your heart?

The Lord is hastening His work. He needs all of us to help Him. I firmly believe that the Lord has something special for each one of His children to do here on earth. He needs you ready, so when the time is right, He can call upon you to do His will. If for some reason you feel like you're not ready or even worthy, then I say start now. "You can do it now!" as Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf boldly said. The atonement is easily and readily accessible. This is something that I have been recognizing in my own life. Ever since I decided to use it in my life, it has begun to make a difference.

"We acknowledge that your path will at times be difficult. But I give you this promise in the name of the Lord: rise up and follow in the footsteps of our Redeemer and Savior, and one day you will look back and be filled with eternal gratitude that you chose to trust the Atonement and its power to lift you up and give you strength." -Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf "You can do it now!"
I hope your week is going well and that God is continuing to pour out His love and blessings to you. Also, Jesus loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment