Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Peanut Butter Smudges and a Smile


I've always admired Marjorie Pay Hinckley, wife of President Gordon B. Hinckley. While I've never met her personally, I always appreciated her optimism and wit. She never color coated anything, rather she gave beauty to reality.

“I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.” 

 She was a very sensible, but strong woman! I loved how President Hinckley would talk about her or the way he would look at her. You could just see and feel his love for her. They built a life together and faithfully served. She saw potential in President Hinckley and knew that he was going places. She stood by him as his equal and served along side him.

I've always admired wit and humor and this woman has it all! She would use humor as a source to lighten the mood during hard times.
“The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.” 

 She had a deep love for people. She believed in unity and encouraged others to stick together. Whenever I served in Relief Society callings, I always felt inspired by her. She boldly declared that women need each other. I wholeheartedly agreed with that. We, sisters, can take our place in this world and deeply love those around us. We can support each other. We have those divine characteristics from our Heavenly Mother. Sister Hinckley is a prime example of a woman who used her heavenly characteristics to be a strong wife and mother. She did her part and she did it well!


No comments:

Post a Comment