Monday, September 12, 2016

Filling My Canteen


I've been setting aside some time to fill my canteen each week. This precious time is scheduled each Saturday morning. It's very important that it's filled to the brim, before the next week, because life just drains it. Especially during the winter months, it's absolutely necessary that I make this time for myself. A few things that I do are as follows:

Sleep! Gosh, sleep is important! Especially when I don't seem to get much of it any other time during the week. And if my body says it wants to sleep in until 10, I don't fight it. I have no alarm. (TBH, I don't need one, because my body usually wakes up pretty early.)

Pancakes are a must. Chocolate chip to be exact. Mama Rock used to make pancakes every Saturday morning and the smell would wake me up. I've always associated pancakes with Saturday and I always will. I also love cooking/baking, so making pancakes satisfies that.

Reading. It's absolutely necessary for me to make time for me to read. Even if it's 30 minutes long, I need my reading time. It's precious time to me, because it's something that I thoroughly enjoy. If I had to pick 2 things to do with my time, it would be sleeping and reading. (Eating would be third, obviously.)

Stretching. I've been stretching a lot. Stretching those muscles. I'm kind of an idiot who hates stretching before/after I run during the week, so I spend extra time to stretch out my tired muscles. It always ends with me just lying on the ground letting my mind wander. Sometimes Most times, I fall asleep.

Listening to music is essential. I've always been a music junkie. I have my Saturday playlist playing in the background as I go about my morning. I love looking up new artists and adding new content to my playlist.

Those are just a few things I do, but when my canteen is full, I'm ready to start the week off with a bang! Being able to do this has helped me spiritually. When I give time to myself and fill my happy tank, I feel so much more open to God. Sundays are much more intimate and I am better able to feel God's love for me, my family/friends, and those I serve.

Life truly isn't the worst when you're taking care of yourself. Just sayin'.




No comments:

Post a Comment